Tips on how to effectively channel your valuable emotional energy
Testers & leaders in Quality Assurance often face cultural & team pitfalls that can lead to less-than-productive behaviors and slow teams down. Learn how to channel challenges into effective outcomes.
Testers & leaders in Quality Assurance often face cultural & team challenges that can result in less-than-productive behaviors which slow teams down and take the fun out of our careers. These issues fall into categories not always discussed in polite company. This talk will cover practical insights that can be leveraged to turn these challenges around.
Emotional Intelligence has risen to a high level of prominence in corporate and cultural conversations. Quality professionals have a unique opportunity to benefit their teams by refining “non-technical” skills in the categories of: Self Awareness, Self Management, Social Awareness and Relationship Management (Goleman EI model).
Real-world challenges include: schedule pressures and rapidly changing priorities; feeling unheard or silenced; facing blame, disrespect or lack of trust; or feeling like an optional team member left out of the loop on information critical to your job.
There’s no crying in software!
The goal of this talk is to help attendees with tactics around:
- scanning for and spotting issues that may result in what are thought of as negative emotions; and channeling those into productive behaviors your colleagues will resonate with
- communicating to be understood: refining communications to be appropriate to the audience
- recognizing and overcoming areas where professional respect might be lacking
- using humor effectively, such as when delivering tough messages in a way that builds morale
- requesting help from others and opening the door for them to rely on you
- encouraging a continuous improvement culture that rewards transparency and a “fail fast” mentality
- helping your team and your company go faster